I was lately contacted by a lady whose 16-year-old daughter and her good friends have produced their new “dangle out place” a hookah bar. The natural way, the mother was anxious. She wrote:
“I do not know substantially about hookah bars, but a speedy Google lookup informed me that they are using tobacco something referred to as Shisha which may possibly even be extra perilous than cigarettes. I requested my daughter about it and she and her friends are all underneath the effect that it’s basically harmless due to the fact the smoke is filtered by means of h2o. Could you lose a minimal gentle on this for us?”
Hookah bars feel to be popping up all over the place and are a thing lots of dad and mom are asking yourself about these days. In reality, I was 1 of individuals mothers and fathers when a business shopper took our have daughter to a Hookah bar a several in the past. She was currently an adult and thus capable to make her personal selections about using tobacco, but I was continue to a worried guardian wondering what all the hoopla about Hookah was about.
For those people who may possibly not know about Hookah, here’s a “minimal light” on the subject matter:
– Initially and foremost, Hookah is not any safer to inhale than cigarettes.
– A hookah is a water pipe with a smoke chamber, a bowl, a pipe and a hose. Specifically created tobacco is heated, and the smoke passes via water and is then drawn as a result of a rubber hose to a mouthpiece.
– The tobacco is no less poisonous in a hookah pipe, and the drinking water in the hookah does not filter out the toxic elements in the tobacco smoke.
– Hookah smokers may possibly basically inhale more tobacco smoke than cigarette people who smoke do mainly because of the massive quantity of smoke they inhale in a person cigarette smoking session, which can past as extensive as 60 minutes.
– As with cigarette cigarette smoking, hookah using tobacco is connected to lung and oral cancers, heart condition, and other critical illnesses.
– Hookah using tobacco delivers about the exact same amount of nicotine as cigarette cigarette smoking, maybe foremost to tobacco dependence.
– Hookah pipes employed in hookah bars and cafes could not be cleaned adequately, jeopardizing the spread of infectious ailments.
My suggestion to the mother was that she sit down with her daughter and describe these facts and then, if her daughter even now thinks Hookah cigarette smoking is secure, get her on a world wide web research with each other. Just form in, “Is hookah smoking cigarettes unsafe?” or anything related and you will find a lot of very good facts that will get rid of a lot of light on the subject. You might start out at the Mayo Clinic internet site the place the details higher than came from:
The base line is that I endorse that you treat Hookah smoking cigarettes just as you would any use of tobacco: 1. Talk about it openly with regard and caring 2. Clarify why it is not ok for teenagers to use these substances, and try to get settlement on this 3. Established up rational effects if vital to implement a “no use” rule.
I hope that any daughter (and son for that make a difference) comes to the identical summary as ours did and chooses to continue to be absent from tobacco in any type, which includes hookah bars.